Thursday, October 7, 2010

My Top 5 Favourite Movie Scenes

As noted in my 'About Me' section, I have an avid interest in cinema.  My favourite genres are comedy (preferably witty humour), horror (from slashers to psychological) and drama (especially films which reflect some sort of truth about life). In this blog post, I will be taking you through my top 5 favourite movie scenes of all time. Note: I am not contending that the scenes I choose are the best scenes in the history of film; they are merely the ones which appeal to me the most. To make this list more interesting, I am not allowing myself to choose two or more scenes from one particular film. There will be five scenes from five films. Oh, and you won't see any car chases or explosions in this list - I don't like action films. Yes; I'm being legitimate - they just don't appeal to me. I don't mind watching action sequences, but as entire films, action movies don't do it for me. Anyway, it's time to begin the countdown!

5. I sound my barbaric yawp - Dead Poets Society

This is a brilliant scene, which shows us that we possess gifts and talents that we aren't even aware of. We often rob ourselves of self-discovery because we live idle lives, and some of us treat life as a 'waiting game', always expecting things to happen, but not actually pursuing opportunities.

4. Screenwriting seminar - Adaptation.

I don't need to say much about this scene. It is so blunt and powerful; it just speaks for itself. What I love the most about this scene is that it challenges my beliefs about screenwriting, and life in general. It shed light on a new perspective for me. Nicolas Cage does an amazing job at selling his vulnerability to the audience.

3. You do what you love, and fuck the rest - Little Miss Sunshine
Movie Videos & Movie Scenes at MOVIECLIPS.com
This is such a beautiful scene. It will bring out the optimist in any pessimist. Every time I feel pain - physical or emotional, my mind drifts back to this scene, and I almost instantly feel a bit better. The scene will also appeal to any outcasts in society who are looking for some affirmation. The scene is made even better by the use of camera angles.

2. The life of wine - Sideways

Here's a scene that was perfectly written. Paul Giamatti delivers his dialogue with a vulnerability that makes us want to give him a hug. Virginia Madsen is just as good, and knows what her body language should be like in a scene such as this one. To the average filmgoer, Giamatti's character is talking about grapes, but the more perceptive viewer will realise that he is using the Pinot grape as a metaphor for himself. 

1. You're just a kid (park scene) - Good Will Hunting

I fell in love with this scene from the moment I first saw it, and I've only seen Good Will Hunting once. Anyone who aspires to be an actor should study this scene, in my opinion. This is what you call powerful filmmaking. I love watching movies that reveal the truth in life, and the dialogue in this scene is something that will always remain true. What does it mean to be intelligent? This scene should help you answer that question. You don't need a tonne of special effects to make an entertaining movie. This movie shows us what can be done with two skilled actors, a script that contains some of life's greatest truths, and a park bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment